Laval-des-Rapides

Laval-des-Rapides is a former city (1912) and later town (1962) on Île Jésus, which is now a district of the city of Laval in Quebec.

Originally the name was Aval-des-Rapides because the neighbourhood is located downstream from the Sault-au-Récollet rapids in the Rivière des Prairies. These rapids are submerged today because of the construction of the electric dam (1930) on the Rivière des Prairies at the level of Saint-Vincent-de-Paul and Île de la Visitation.

The old Laval-des-Rapides district, Laval-des-Rapides-Centre, was once nicknamed Parc-Laval because there was once a lot of uncultivated forest at the end of the lands of the inhabitants who had settled along the Rivière des Prairies.

Laval-des-Rapides